Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Papertrey May Blog Hop Challenge

Can't believe it's already Blog Hop time again at Papertrey Ink!  The theme this month is flowers, and I've been working on a special project for the hop, using a technique that combines two of my interests:  stamping and silk painting:


A list of the material used is at the end of this post.  Although time-consuming, this was not difficult at all to make.  I've shown some of the steps below in case you want to make one.


 The rosebud image from YOF: Roses was stamped in Versamark ink onto lightweight silk fabric, dusted with clear embossing powder, and heat-embossed.  This seals the image outline in the same way that gutta does if you are familiar with silk painting.  



Using Copic markers, the image was colored in (flooding the area with isopropyl alcohol first will help the blending of the various shades).  

After drying, the piece was ironed (no steam) between blank newsprint to remove the clear embossing powder.



The oval box was made out of craft foam by die cutting (Spellbinders Petite Ovals) multiple frames from the foam and stacking them, in a manner I demonstrated in an earlier post.  The side of the oval box was covered with 1" wide silk ribbon that had been stamped with Fancy Flourishes using SU craft ink (Certainly Celery) then heat-set.

The top of the box was first covered with thin polyester quilt batting cut in an oval slightly smaller than the inner oval used for the box.  The silk-painted rose was then glued on the lid around the edges and trimmed even with the edges of the lid.  The green frame was made by dyeing 1" silk ribbon with a mixture of alcohol inks (Jaquard Pinata Sun Yellow + Lime Green diluted with isopropyl alcohol) to the desired shade, and after drying, wrapping around a cardboard frame cut using the same Spellbinders ovals as were used for the box.



The beaded embellishments were made by stringing beads from my stash onto 1/8" silk ribbon that had been dyed as above.  The stickpin is a corsage pin from the bridal section at Michaels (thanks for the idea, Becca Feekin!).

Here's some additional views of the box (the inside contains some dried roses from the bouquet my husband gave me on our 25th anniversary):



Thanks for looking, and enjoy the rest of the Blog Hop!

Cyndie

Supplies list:
Stamps:  PTI Year of Flowers: Roses, and Fancy Flourishes.
Ink:  Versamark; Copic R83, R85, R89, YG96, YG97); Jacquard Pinata Sun Yellow, Lime Green.
Silk:  1/8" wide and 1" wide silk ribbon from Dharmatrading.com.
Other:  White 1/16" craft foam, pearl corsage pin, beads, thick tacky glue, Scor-it 1/8" tape; colorless embossing powder; polyester quilt batting; thin cardboard (cereal box).
Tools:  Cuttlebug; Spellbinders Petite Ovals Small, two sizes; heat tool.

36 comments:

  1. Oh my G-O-O-D-N-E-S-S!!! This is absolutely amazing!!! I can just smell those rose petals too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is STUNNING! I am taken with your creativity;) I have placed you on my blog list I will be stopping by often. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow- this is quite a project! Amazing end results- it's beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning!
    Love this!
    Incredibly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As far as I'm concerned you are the winner..if there was one..for this month's challenge! I'm tagging this project to my pinterest account!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my!! A masterpiece! Truly beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so gorgeous! What an amazing idea and it's so stylish! Love, love, love it!!! Gorgeous rosebud!!
    Hugs, Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, this is beautiful! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so beautiful! I love to combine crafts too :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a unique contributon! It is just stunning! I love the colors you picked and your coloring technique! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW! Amazing project! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You've wowed me, Cyndie! This is so lovely! Thanks for explaining the construction so well--I actually get it! :-) What a beautiful keepsake box, so well made!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful! Thanks for sharing how you made it too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous! So totally creative, I love you project!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a tiny work of art - so perfect for holding your treasured memories.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh wow! This is a treasure!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is AMAZING! I am going to have to try that myself....

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a completely fabulous project! Just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful and Fabulous! So special this box is! Thank you for outlining the steps taken to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, a knock-your-socks-off project! Stunning. Thank you for the inspiration (and explanation of how to do it)!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, so beautiful! Thanks for including details on how it was made!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a special & sensational project! Knocked my socks off :) tfs

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow Wow Wow!! Awesome little box. I love your rose, so beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  24. Finally I get to comment on your work of art (thanks blogger). It's just so lovely and to think the whole box is handmade. I reckon you might just get a mention for this one. Is there no end to your talents.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a fabulous project! Elegant, beautiful and stunning. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is just the most GORGEOUS creation of the entire blog hop and I am so GLAD I can finally comment on it! LOVE all of the FAB details and your LOVELY flower!

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a GORGEOUS project! Thanks for the details so I can create one for myself!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are very much appreciated, thank you!