Saturday, September 17, 2011

JustRite Challenge 058: Frugal Friday

 How exciting!  JustRite's Friday challenge this time is all about making handmade gifts using items laying about.  What a great idea, and it gives me a kick-start to holiday gift making!  My idea for this was to make holiday shoe ornaments using Scrabble tiles:


Here's a closeup of the ornaments:


And I also made a pin to go with them:


Aren't they cute?  Here's how I made them:  the images (from JustRite Originals set Holiday Cheer Borders & Centers) were stamped on white cardstock, colored in with Copic markers, glued to Scrabble tiles, and trimmed to fit.  The top surface was painted with Mod-Podge (matte) to seal the paper, then UV-cure resin (Lisa Pavelka Magic-Glos) was poured on and cured out in the sun for a while.  The snowflake underneath was die-cut (MFT Die-Namics Snowflake Trio) from white craft foam, then the Scrabble tile was glued on.  The snowflake was painted with thin glue and dusted with white micro-glitter.  The shoe ornaments also have a white silk ribbon tied around them with a bow on the bottom.  The shoe ornaments were glued onto base metal unpierced earring backs, and the pin is glued to a base metal tie tack finding.  Believe it or not, I had all these things in my craft room--although now that I'm done it looks like a bomb hit it.  Time to clean up!

Thanks for looking, and have a nice day!

Cyndie

5 comments:

  1. Just beautiful Cyndie. My daughter was peeking over my shoulder just before and spied them - "Where can we get those Mum, they are gorgeous". So I said this very clever lady in the US makes them, and you are great at these embellishments. This will surely win.

    Wish I could get some inspiration going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cyndie you are the queen of scrabble tiles!!! You never cease to amaze me with the wonderful projects you make using them. This is so clever and original...I'll keep my fingers crossed for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a brilliant idea! I love it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How totally unique are these; would never have thought to use Scrabble tiles!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for that little pick-me-up, I have just finished watching Day 7 with Jennifer, and just loving all these techniques. I have never really gone down this path before but you can bet I will be giving them a go, Just need to get some distress inks, my shopping list is already quite long.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are very much appreciated, thank you!