Here it is:
And here are some more views of it:
|Top of the box|
|Side of the box|
|Silk lined inside|
|It holds my turquoise necklace nicely, doesn't it?|
Okay, fair warning: lots of photos follow. You don't have to look unless you want to know how I made it!
First of all, I used the JustRite set Beautiful Day--I just love that bunch of snowdrops; we'll be seeing those soon! Stamped on PTI Stamper's Select white, die cut with Spellbinders Petite Ovals Small, then sealed with Mod Podge.
I coated the top with shiny resin. I used Lisa Pavelka's Magic Glos:
I made the oval box by diecutting frames from craft foam and stacking them on a bottom oval, and gluing them with tacky glue. The lid is made from an oval with a smaller diecut oval glued to it. I later decided to make the lid from brown craft foam to match the wood, so I ended up tossing this one. (Note: if you want to see more of these craft foam boxes I have made, check out my posts here and here, and also my tutorial on Splitcoaststampers here).
The side was covered with a strip of paper-backed wood veneer (see below for a photo of the wood I used). It was glued on with tacky glue and rubber-banded until dry. Not shown is an oval die cut of the same wood to cover the top of the box.
I'm not sure but I think what I used for the sides and top were maple. Then I used a piece of walnut and die cut it using a border strip from my Spellbinders Edgeabilities Classic Triple Scallop. You have to run it through a few times but it does cut. Then I glued the border along the bottom edge of the box, and finished the wooden parts of the box with a coat of clear shellac to bring out the beauty of the wood.
Here is the box, adorned with 1/8" silk ribbon dyed to match the stamped lid with Copic marker.
Next I gathered a ~24" length of seam binding (dyed with Copic marker) by stitching a running stitch along one edge. Didn't feel like getting out the sewing machine so I did it by hand.
And adhered it along the underside edge of the top panel using Scor-Tape.
Made a little silk liner for the box out of the edge of a lightweight white silk scarf (I keep a supply of these from Dharma Trading on hand for craft purposes). Again, too lazy to use the sewing machine--this time I taped it all together with Scor-Tape. That stuff works great!
Added a line of Scor-Tape just below the top edge of the box and adhered the silk liner. I purposely made the liner longer than necessary so it would drape in the bottom of the box in an interesting way.
So, that's it! After adhering the stamped panel to the lid of the box, it was done. Whew!
I'm also working on an alternate lid for the box. Stay tuned!
I hope you enjoyed this longer-than-normal post. Now back to your regularly scheduled crafting!