Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Papertrey January Blog Hop Challenge

 Hello fellow hoppers!  Today I'm participating in PTI's January Blog Hop Challenge, which is to create a project that is inspired by a favorite previous project.  I'm assuming this means a favorite from my own blog, not all possible blogs--hope I understand that right!  Anyway, assuming that is the case, here is the project I chose as my favorite (from the PTI May Blog Hop Challenge):


It was a gift box that I made out of die cut craft foam (cutting out frames and stacking them).  The lid was made by using a batik method:  stamped design on silk with Versamark, clear-embossed, painted in with Copic markers, ironed off the embossing).  The silk was backed with quilt batting and surrounded by a frame that was wrapped with dyed seam binding.

So, today's project is quite similar.  I made another box, this time covering the sides with craft wood veneer and wood that was die cut with Spellbinders Edgeabilities (Classic Triple Scallop).  You can read all about how I made the box on a previous post here.  At the time I promised an additional lid for the box, and here it is:


The lid was made in a manner similar to the rose box above.  The design (from PTI's Butterfly Dreams) was stamped in Versamark ink onto white silk and clear-embossed.  Then colored in with Copic markers, including coloring the blue-green outside of the butterfly.  The clear-embossing was ironed off onto kraft paper bags to absorb the embossing, and the body and antennae were stamped with black craft ink and heat-embossed.  After backing with a layer of quilt batting, the silk was adhered to a die cut oval (Spellbinders Petite Ovals Small) one size smaller than the box.  A die cut frame from the wood was treated with shellac to bring out the beauty of the wood, then adhered to the brown craft foam lid to surround the butterfly.  Here's a side view:


It was a fun project--you should give it a try!

Have fun hopping today, and thanks for stopping by--

Cyndie

17 comments:

  1. Both are really lovely Cyndie. I would love one of these trinket boxes on my dresser or in my craft room. So talented my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember that first dreamy little box Cyndie, so creative. And here you go again with another beauty. The fabric color is the perfect background for your pretty butterfly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both are very pretty projects. Lucky recipients!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness! Your boxes are so gorgeous! You make amazing creations with your stamps! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful project and such a unique stamping idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oeh! These are amazing! And super pretty!! Love these!!
    Hugs, Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful gift! It looks professional. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Didn't know you could do this!!! What a wonderful project.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! You are one creative lady, I love that you didn't just make a card like everyone else. These will make awesome gifts :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh MY is that ever amazing, Cyndie! Your box looks like something found in an exclusive boutique! So gorgeous in the colors that you chose with the woodgrain on the box!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those had colored boxes are beautiful, love them both!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so pretty-I remember the the rose box from the original post. I pretty much stick to cardmaking, but I also have a thing for little boxes. Thanks for the inspiration and the tutorial. I'll give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful colours and amazing craft work.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I remember the rose box lid from last year and it is gorgeous! Your second box is absolutely beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Loved the original and love the new. Either you have making these down pat or there isn't much time for card making, hope that isn't the case.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are very much appreciated, thank you!