Sunday, April 8, 2012

Happy Easter 2012

Greetings all!  I hope you are having a very nice Easter day.  Our weather here is just about perfect!



No card today, but I have another one of my decorated eggs to show.  If you recall, I showed a different egg last Easter.  These are eggs that I made some years ago using the method that is used for pysanky eggs:  you draw the design on the cleaned and emptied chicken egg using melted beeswax in a kistka (I have an electric one), dye the egg one color, then cover whatever you want to remain that color with more beeswax lines.  Keep repeating with progressively darker colors.  At the end the egg is pretty much covered in wax, which you melt off in the oven to reveal the final design.

This design is kind of like a Texas Star quilt pattern;  at least, that's what I was shooting for.  The method was a little different from a standard pysanky;  it was first dyed a medium orange, then the quilt lines were drawn in wax, then the egg was soaked in bleach to remove all the orange coloring.  Then the parts to remain white were filled in, then red, then blue/purple.  The final dye bath was black.

Here is a view of the bottom where the egg contents were blown out:



It was really fun to do these eggs--I need to get me some dyes and try it again!

Have a happy Easter!

Cyndie

5 comments:

  1. Absolutely stunning Cyndie, incredible patience. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!!! Tracey said it Cyndie...STUNNING!!! The happiest of Easter wishes to you and your family ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you have shown another one of your remarkable eggs. How long does it take you to do one, such painstaking detail! Love the colours in this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness this is fabulous. It must have taken ages and lots of patience to work on such a small delicate canvas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your pysanka is beautiful. I used to do a lot of pysanki, but never took photos of my eggs. I did over a hundred of them, and used to give them to friends from Ukraine, Russia, and Lithuania. So many of them were homesick and liked it because I knew their holidays and traditions. They liked receiving them any time, not just at Easter, so I used to give them away whenever they felt sad.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are very much appreciated, thank you!