Friday, May 4, 2012

Make It Monday 64: Color Inspiration

 Wow, there was an incredible tutorial from Nicole of Papertrey Ink on this week's Make It Monday!  I finally got a chance to sit down with my supplies and work something up, trying to keep in mind the "rule of threes" which was new to me.  I didn't implement it perfectly but I'm reasonably satisfied with the result, using her color grouping containing Fine Linen, Vintage Cream, Aqua Mist, Classic Kraft, and Terracotta Tile:


This color combo really called out to me;  I'm an enthusiast of American Southwest art (we have a modest collection of native American Santa Clara pottery that is precious to us) and this color combo just seemed to reflect that.  For card stock I used Aqua Mist (for some reason the photo came out more turquoise-y), Vintage Cream, and Classic Kraft.  The sentiment panel was cut from Vintage Cream using Mat Stack 2 regular die, and cut from Aqua Mist using the matching Layerz die.  I added some Copic marker in the BG family to darken it, for contrast.  The motif was stamped in SU Baroque Burgundy (retired) and the sentiment (from Healing Touch Sentiments) was stamped in black.  Tiny pearls were colored with Copics for the sentiment panel and the lace, which was also colored with Copics to match Aqua Mist.  The red mini ricrac was originally orange--I colored it with Copics to match.  The background kraft still needed something, so I added a zigzag motif from Waltzingmouse Off Beat Backgrounds, to keep with the theme.

So, that's it from me--have a nice day!

Cyndie


9 comments:

  1. Oh wow this was the color choice I was going to do but never got around to ~ it was my favorite! GORGEOUS card Cyndie, I just love that tiny rick rack of yours! Hey...I think I recognize that lace trim ;) The more I see of this mat stack set the more I want it LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so funny! No need to acknowledge it, I'm just glad you're enjoying it. It got the trim at Hobby Lobby. If you can't find it let me know, I would be happy to pick some up for you, the Hobby Lobby is about 5 miles from me! Sometimes that and the closeness of Joanns (maybe 5 miles in the other direction from me!) is a dangerous thing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty, Cyndie! I love the native American style - the colors really are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your take on these colours Cyndie. Love how you mimicked the photo with your fibers and love the dimension. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just stunning Cyndie! The simplicity of the design and the striking colours makes this a very CASE-able card. I love the tiny zig zag.

    I really haven't looked at this challenge for a while but when I saw your card I knew I had to have a go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this clean crisp design! what great colors - the tiny pearl accents are a wonderful touch and what a lovely sentiment die cut!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So pretty Cyndie! Love the ric rac trim and the beautiful label!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautifully done. That shade of blue teamed up with the kraft is a stunning combination.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow this made me stop in my tracks... beautiful card!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are very much appreciated, thank you!